[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Brinton, William, 1704 House

Dilworthtown, Pennsylvania
County of Delaware.
Dilworthtown vicinity
National Register Number: 67000018
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Domestic - single dwelling.
Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 24, 1967):
Constructed in 1704, this early stone house, built by a Chester County English Quaker, is representative of early manor houses in the Delaware Valley. It blends English 17th century house design with local Pennsylvania building traditions.

Condition:
The Pennsylvania Division of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) are proposing improvements to a 7.5-mile section of US 202 in Chester and Delaware Counties, Pennsylvania. The improvements include widening the existing four-lane road to six lanes with grade-separated interchanges, at-grade jughandles, and spur roads. According to the case studies on the website of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, which works to mitigate adverse effects on NHLs caused by projects with federal funding or permitting, this road project could have an adverse impact on the Brinton House. See www.achp.gov for further information.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov