Statement of Significance (as of designation - August 11, 1969):
The Mayo Clinic Building (1914) was the first building to house both research and diagnosis under one roof, independent of any hospital and dedicated to the private, group practice of medicine. While this building was torn down, the Landmark Plummer Building (1928) represents continuing growth of the concepts first embodied in the earlier building. The form of practice developed by Drs. William J. and Charles H. Mayo has been copied throughout the world and exists today as one of the most common systems of practice in the world.