[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
San Bernardino Ranch

Douglas, Arizona
County of Cochise.
17 miles east of Douglas
National Register Number: 66000170
Resource type: District.
Property type: Farm/Ranch. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2008.
Congressional District: AZ-8 Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Ranch Museum: www.slaughterranch.com.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - July 19, 1964):
The center of a cattle ranching empire that straddled the U.S.-Mexico border, this ranch illustrates the continuity of Spanish and American cattle ranching in the Southwest. Until late in the 19th century, the San Bernardino Valley, a well-watered area occupying southern Arizona and northern Mexico, was not successfull occupied by Europeans due to the threat of Apache attack; in 1884, however, John H. Slaughter, a Texas cattle rancher, leased a portion of the Mexican land grant and began the development of a ranch that would span up to 100,000 acres, supplying beef, fruits, and vegetables to the surrounding settlements and military posts.

Condition:
The ranch is in pristine condition.

There have been no changes since the last report.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov