Statement of Significance (as of designation - August 5, 1998):
The nation's second-tallest brick lighthouse, this 175-foot tower was begun in 1884 to mark Mosquito Inlet on the Atlantic coast of Florida. The light station is significant for its association with Federal efforts to provide an integrated system of navigational aids to insure safe maritime transportation. Ponce de Leon is one of the nation's best-preserved light stations, retaining not only its tower (complete with its original Fresnel first-order lens), but its three keepers' dwellings, oil house, and combination woodshed/privies. The light station has been restored and open to the public since 1982.