Statement of Significance (as of designation - April 15, 1970):
Built about 1699 by a French Huguenot planter, this transitional two story plantation house is one of the oldest frame structures in the State. Its exterior is a picture of simplicity, with its clapboarded walls, plain fenestration, and unadorned hipped roof. The one story verandas, or piazzas, on the long facades are 18th century additions. Inside, heavy corner posts and girts reflect postmedieval construction, and the single-room plan, providing needed ventilation in the hot climate of the Carolina low country, may be regarded as a prototype for the Charleston "single-house" plan.