[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Old First Presbyterian Church

Nashville, Tennessee
County of Davidson.
154 Fifth Avenue North
National Register Number: 70000608
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Religious facility. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2008.
Congressional District: TN-5 Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Church.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - April 19, 1993):
The Old First Presbyterian Church was designed very late in William Strickland's career while he was engaged on the construction of the Tennessee State Capitol. Having started his architectural career as an apprentice to Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764-1820), Strickland (1787-1854) advanced in his knowledge of engineering and became one of the foremost architects in the United States. The Old Presbyterian Church, begun in 1849, is Strickland's largest and only full Egyptian temple, and is known affectionately as "Karnak on the Cumberland."

Condition:
The landmark is being maintained in good condition by congregation.

There are no changes to the landmark.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov