St. Thomas Synagogue
|Crystal Gade #16AB, Queens Quarters; Old Cemetery- Southwest Corner of Silke Gade and Jode Gade, Savan Gut area; New Cemetery-northside of Dronningens Gade, New Cemetery-northside of Dronningens Gade, Kronsprindsens Area|
U.S. Virgin Islands
County of St. Thomas.|
|National Register Number: 97001270|
|Property type: Religious facility.
||Resource type: Building.||
Certified Local Government: NO
American Ways of Life.|
|This NHL offers public access.|
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
|Current use/information: Synagogue.|
Statement of Significance (as of designation - September 25, 1997):
Saint Thomas Synagogue, built in 1833, is the second-oldest synagogue and longest in continuous use now under the American flag. The synagogue, fourth on its site, was built to house a congregation founded in 1796 by Sephardic Jews who had come to the Caribbean Basin to finance trade between Europe and the New World. The congregation reached its zenith in the mid-19th century, declined in the late 19th and early 20th centuries with the fortunes of the Danish Virgin Islands, and grew again in the late 20th century.
Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov