Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 30, 1974):
Completed in 1869, this twenty-two room structure is the sole remaining building of the country's first Veteran's Home. Established by act of Congress immediately after the Civil War, the facility opened in October 1866 and served disabled veterans for more than a century.
There are no threats to the landmark.
There are no changes to the landmark at this time.